Pingxi Jiufen Day Trip
- Location: Taipei, Taiwan
- Duration: 8 hours (approx.)
Travel from Taipei to Jinguashi, Jiufen, and Pingxi. These charming, old-world destinations are great for romantic outings, nostalgic walks, and dining in traditional restaurants and teahouses. Take in amazing views of the ocean and surrounding landscapes while getting taught about the area’s history. Wander the narrow cobbled streets of Jiufen, a town famous for having been an inspiration for the Miyazaki classic Spirited Away. Make sky lanterns by yourself and release them to send your wishes to the heaven in Pingxi, known for its annual Sky Lantern Festival. Hotel pickup and drop-off included.
- Day trip from Taipei to Jiufen and Pingxi
- Includes round-trip hotel transport by luxury vehicle
- Visit Shuinandong Area and see the unique blue and yellow color swirls in the “Yin-Yang Sea”
- Visit the spectacular Gold Waterfall, another unique and beautiful sight
- Make your very own sky lanterns to send your wishes to the heavens, an experience not to be missed
- Explore a former gold mine with a local guide
- Explore the town of Jiufen, walk through narrow streets, and enjoy the amazing coastal views
What You Can Expect
Start your day trip to Jiufen and Pingxi with hotel pickup in Taipei, and settle into luxurious comfort aboard your vehicle. Driving along Taiwan’s northern coast, your guide makes a scenic stop for postcard views of the two-toned Yin-Yang Sea. Visit the Golden Waterfall, where the water’s yellowish hue is formed from copper and iron deposits from old mines. Take in amazing views of the ocean and surrounding landscapes while getting taught about the area’s history from a local man who worked in Jinguashi’s mining industry for over 60 years.
On arrival in historical Jiufen, stroll the narrow, cobbled streets and learn about the town’s inspiration for films such as the Oscar-winning animation Spirited Away. Bring your own lunch or purchase a meal at a local eatery, followed by a relaxing stop at a teahouse (own expense).
In Pingxi District, follow your guide on foot down Shifen Old Street, lined with shops selling miniature sky lanterns. Whether or not you arrive for the Sky Lantern Festival, when up to 200,000 luminous lanterns are released into the sky, you’ll have the opportunity to make your own rice paper lantern and write wishes on it (one lantern per 2 participants), light a candle at its base and watch it take flight.
After the decline of the mining industry, the area these three towns are located in was revived as a popular tourist attraction and a center of history and culture. Just a stone’s throw away from bustling Taipei, this tour will allow you to bask in the old-town atmosphere, take in beautiful scenery, and learn a thing or two about the area’s cultural heritage and you’ll transfer to your vehicle for the return drive to your hotel.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional English guide
- Entrance fees
- Sky lantern (1 lantern per 4 people)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Exact pick-up time and tour guide’s contact number will advised two days before tour departure.